Lasagna is a classic Italian dish known for its layers of pasta, rich tomato sauce, creamy béchamel, and melted cheese. While delicious, making traditional lasagna can be time-consuming and require many steps. That’s where One-Pot Lasagna Soup comes in – it captures all the flavors of lasagna in a comforting and easy-to-make soup. This recipe not only saves you time and effort but also provides a hearty and satisfying meal. In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of making this delicious One-Pot Lasagna Soup.
For the soup:
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (mild or hot, depending on your preference)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice level)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the lasagna component:
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the ground Italian sausage over medium-high heat. Break it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks until it’s browned and cooked through. Remove any excess fat if necessary.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper to the pot. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, dried basil, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, add the broken lasagna noodles. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- While the noodles are cooking in the soup, you can prepare the cheesy topping. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella, and grated Parmesan cheese. Mix them together until well combined.
- After the noodles are tender, taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves.
- Ladle the hot soup into serving bowls. Top each bowl with a generous spoonful of the cheese mixture and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve your One-Pot Lasagna Soup hot and enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- You can customize this soup by using different types of Italian sausage, such as sweet, mild, or spicy, depending on your preference.
- If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, substitute the Italian sausage with meatless crumbles or sautéed mushrooms for a delicious meatless version.
- Feel free to add extra vegetables to the soup, such as zucchini, spinach, or mushrooms, to increase the nutritional content and add more flavor.
- For a creamier soup, add a dollop of heavy cream or half-and-half at the end.
- You can make this soup in advance and store it in the refrigerator for a few days. The flavors often intensify when reheated, making it even more delicious.
One-Pot Lasagna Soup is a delightful twist on the traditional lasagna, offering all the rich and comforting flavors you love in a convenient and easy-to-make soup form. This recipe is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a hearty meal on a chilly evening. The combination of Italian sausage, cheese, and aromatic herbs in a tomato-based broth creates a satisfying and mouthwatering dish that everyone will enjoy. So, roll up your sleeves, grab your pot, and try making this One-Pot Lasagna Soup for a comforting meal that’s sure to become a favorite in your household.